Friday, December 17, 2010

Carpe Diem

I know a lot about the Doc. After almost 2 years of basically listening to nothing but her, one is bound to get little snippets and glances into her life. She is a very well rounded person, with more hobbies than most 20 year olds, and at 63, she is vibrant and youthful in said hobbies. She is an avid hiker, she is a sailboat racer, she loves dogs, she takes billiard lessons, she makes jewelry to sell for charity, she knits scarves and sweaters, she has a black belt in martial arts, she owns a Harley and goes on weekend motorcycle trips often, she goes paddle surfing, she is a yoga master, she, well I could go on but you get the picture. The reason I am telling you so much about all these hobbies, is because she inspires me. I have this huge list of hobbies I would like to take up, someday. (Those of you who have seen the film Knight and Day know just how dangerous that word is.) I have always said things like, one day when I have more money I'm going to do this. Or when I finish college I'm going to do that. Or when I get married, I want to have that hobby with my husband. I did that all the time before finding the Doc. But since coming across the Doc, and listening to her tell her listeners about some other hobby that she is taking up, I have been more inspired to Carpe Diem. I have learned from her that life is for the living and as cliché as it sounds, everyday should be lived to its full capacity. I have heard cliché spoken many times before, but never really took it much to heart until I found the Doc. Why? What made her the difference? Well, she never really says much about Carpe Diem-ing. No, not really. She actually just does it. She is always taking up a new hobby or learning how to do something new. It’s because of the example in her own life that I am inspired. She inspires me, through her example, to do more. I have always wanted to take horseback riding lessons. I never had the guts to actually do it, until she inspired me when I learned she takes billiard lessons and she does paddle surfing and sailboat racing. I feel alive on a horse. (I should have been born on a ranch in cowboy boots, but that is another story.) I feel a little sheepish being 25 and taking horseback riding lessons, but at least I am doing something that I love and never thought was possible to do. Traveling is another thing that has always made me feel alive. It’s something that I love to do. It's something that relaxes me and rejuvenates me. It's also something I had a hard time justifying financially until the Doc. Now, I understand the importance of taking time for me, whatever the cost. My ‘me time’ is priceless to me. It’s one of the best ways for me to Carpe Diem. I especially love the beach. I just feel like this woman when I can travel to the beach. 

I am so happy the Doc has encouraged me to get out and see the world and have these amazing experiences whenever I can. There are many other things on my list, but I find myself a little reserved to share more on this blog. Bottom line is that thanks to her, my someday list is rapidly becoming a today list. I am getting so much more out of my life, out of my singlehood, than most others my age. Most I know whine and complain about being single. While that does get tempting from time to time, instead, she has encouraged me to take up new hobbies, stuff that I have always wanted to do before, to fill my life with entertainment and joy that I may not be able to experience as a wife or mother. Each stage of life has its pros and cons. While I am looking forward to the many pros that marriage and motherhood bring, I can't help but feel blessed to look at the many pros that being single brings. I don't intend to waste a moment of it. I don't intend to miss this stage of my life because I was too busy whining about not being in the next stage. I have in fact learned to Carpe Diem each day. And my life is so much more meaningful and rich than it has been over the previous few years. Because in the past previous years I was stagnate. I thought that my youth and opportunities to take up new hobbies had passed me by and I was quite bummed about it.
Thankfully, a 63 year old woman paddle surfing has taught me that you’re never too old to do something that you love, and with that knowledge has come an enriching life and experience. I can't wait to see what my someday list brings me tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...