Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Oyster's Autobiography

"All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography."
Federico Fellini

I have decided to take a little break from the Feminist movement. I only have 2 parts left, but it is such a controversial topic and it can be somewhat emotionally exhausting for people to take on. So, for the next little while, I am going to take a break from the feminist movement and move on to a few other more relaxed topics. Today, I am going to be covering a topic that I love. Art. I love art in pretty much every form there is. Dancing, Instruments, Costumes, Painting, Photography, Singing, Poetry, the Theater, Set Designs, Sculpting, Jewelry, Architecture. I could go on, but you get the idea. I love collecting art. Especially at places like the flea markets where people are trying to sell their homemade art. I tend to go a little crazy when there. I always end up buying something. I unfortunately don't have nearly enough wall space for it all where I currently reside. So I store it under my bed until I move into a home where I can go to town decorating. Come visit me in ten years and I guarantee every wall will be covered in some kind of art. Photographs, paintings, posters, canvas prints, even things like cool clocks will sometimes grab my eye. I don't think many people know this love of art about me. I guarantee that if any of you asked any of my family members, none of them would know this. They could tell you that I love watching dance because they all know my obsession with So You Think You Can Dance, but besides that, I don't think that anyone is aware. If a guy really wanted to impress me on a date, all he would need to do is take me to an art showing, any kind of art showing. At a museum, an art gallery, even something like a high school’s art show. Or he could take me to some kind of dance performance or play. I enjoy it all, from high school, to community, to Broadway. Yep, if he was seeking to impress, I would be thoroughly impressed. I love shopping for art. I love interpreting abstract art. I love watching a performance of some kind. I must say that I am a very tough critic, and will admit that I hate some paintings and photographs, some dances and some sculptures, but when I find something I love—I LOVE to soak it in. Artists are people I really admire.
I would like to share some of my favorite pieces with you all, so you can appreciate it too.

This painting is probably my all time favorite painting. I was just captured by it the first time I saw it. I was in Ukraine at an art flea market (my paradise right?) and I saw this painting. It was a replica obviously, but I wanted it so badly. I was even willing to pay the $150 they were asking. I just couldn’t think of a way I could get it home, so sadly I still do not own this painting. But I vow to own a replica someday. Without further adieu, it is called This Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano





This is a picture of my favorite drawing. It was done by a very talented artist and good friend of mine Brian Johnson. This guy was born with talent. When he showed me some of his stuff for the first time I was mesmerized and highly impressed. I told him if he ever wanted to sell some of his art, I would be a good customer. Then one day, a few years later he just brought this drawing over and gave it to me. It's been one of my prized possessions since. Unfortunately my photograph does it no justice. The point to this drawing is that you don't know if the two people in the picture are dancing or fighting. I have yet to figure it out.


This is one of my favorite pieces. I am not sure what kind of art this is called, but I have seen guys doing it before. They like spray paint a bunch of paint onto a piece of paper, then they fold up that paper so it’s in a funnel type thing, and they pour the paint onto the canvas and maneuver it into whatever they try to paint. I have no idea if I actually did justice to explaining how it is done or if all of you are just scratching your heads at me, I have no idea what I am talking about, and struggle for the right words. The artsy fartsy part of my brain was never developed and I can't do anything artsy (aside from this blog, which is debatable art) but it’s my FAVORITE! I love this thing. It’s one I bought at a flea market from an awesome artist.




 This is one of my favorite photographs. It is sort of for more than one reason. First of all, it’s a picture of my favorite singer, Steve Perry. Lead singer of Journey. Secondly, I love the angle, the abstractness of the picture, its art in and of itself. And I love and appreciate the dual purpose. Ever since I discovered Steve, I wanted a giant poster of him singing to hang somewhere. I searched for about 3 years before I found some vintage ones online, so this one does it for me.Its a poor quality photo for you guys to try to see.The lighting is bad and this is like a 28"X22" poster I hang in my room, shrunk way down.



 These are my favorite earrings. I bought them from a jewelry maker at the fair. This guy made the most gorgeous jewelry out of some kind of stone. I fell in love with these earrings immediately and are my most irreplaceable item of jewelry. 
 

 I could go on and on and on... But before I get anymore carried away, I must include my favorite expression of art... 
Dancing 
Dancing…. I don't think that I could ever pick a favorite dance. I watch SYTYCD more faithfully than I brush my teeth (maybe… I'm not actually admitting to that.) I have many pieces that have touched me over the years on that show, I have fallen in love with many of my favorite dancers. Three dances have really come to mind immediately without thought when I started writing this. Dozens more as I sit and think harder. The first comes with a story. She is a drug addict. He is the drug. Now watch it with that point of view. Choreographed by Mamma Mia (Mia Michaels.) 

 This is one of my favorite Wade Robson pieces. And he is one of my favorite choreographers.

And one more.This is about a couple who can't sleep because they are both mad at each other.It's their night, tossing and turning trying to work through this quarrel they have. 2 of my favorite dancers. Nappytabs choreographed this beauty.


Some other choreographers besides the three I just mentioned that I am forever impressed with and recommend watching any of their pieces on YouTube include Travis Wall, Tyce Diorio, Sonya Tayeh, and Toni Redpath. You really just can't go wrong watching SYTYCD. I could post a hundred more videos for you all to watch.

SYTYCD is not the only place I have seen and fallen in love with dancing. Broadway is another place where I have had the love affair. Also my high school's Drill Team 100 years ago when I was a student. I still remember several pieces they did. They were phenomenal. A professional ballet I saw in Ukraine, the infamous Swan Lake. I was seriously stunned. 

Unfortunately I don't do as much with art as I would like. I use the excuse far too often that I don't have anyone to go with, which is a dumb excuse. I am making a goal now to seek out more art. More art shows, more dance recitals, more community theater. More swap meas. Art is something I am so passionate about and is so fulfilling to me that I know I should be participating in it more. Because it brings so much inspiration and fulfillment to my life.Anyone interested in joining me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...